It is helpful to have a Twitter account prior to setting up access to the service via SMS. However it is possible to create an account via SMS.
Follow the steps below to create a new account. If you already have a Twitter account, please skip to Adding a handset to a Twitter account via SMS.
Creating a Twitter Account
1. Go to Twitter website - http://www.twitter.com
2. Click on "Sign Up Now" button
3. Create a username and password
4. Continue to follow the registration steps until you are able to tweet!
Adding a handset to a Twitter account via SMS
1. Send START to 40404
2. You will receive the followin MT :
3. Reply with your Username (assuming you have already registered for a Twitter account on Twitter.com by following the instructions above. If you need a Twitter account you can reply with your preferred Username and follow the registration steps via SMS)
4. You will receive the following MT message :
5. Reply with your Password
6. If you entered your password correctly, you will receive the following MT message :
7. Reply with OK
8. You will receive the following MT :
Please note : after this point, any additional message sent to 40404 will become a Tweet that is sent to your followers. You will not receive a message confirming that yu have sent a tweet.
9. Your Mobile Settings page online will also update to indicate that your device has been verified.
Frequently asked questions about the Twitter Service - http://help.twitter.com/entries/13920-frequently-asked-questions
How to add your phone to account via SMS - http://help.twitter.com/entries/14020-the-official-twitter-text-commands
FAQs about SMS - http://help.twitter.com/entries/1404-twitter-phone-faq
How to turn off/on mobile notifications - http://help.twitter.com/entries/15610-how-to-get-updates-on-phone-turning-on-off-notifications